Don't miss out on the having a great time this weekend! Here are a few of the cool events around our cities.
The Northwest Paddling Festival
- When/Where: The Northwest Paddling Festival takes place from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, May 12, 2012 at Sunset Beach in Lake Sammamish State Park
- Why Go: See paddlers and more than 60 vendors from the paddlesports industry, or try it out yourself. Come out and see what the biggest collection of manufacturers in specialty paddlesports looks like in one location.
- Cost: The event is free, but if you are interested in paddling the gear, there is a nominal $5 per person charge for those interested in demoing boats or Stand Up Paddleboards (credit/debit cards will be accepted). Also, parking at the park requires a Discover Pass (you can buy a one-day pass for $10, or annual pass for $30).
Plant Sales in Sammamish and Issaquah
- : Pine Lake Garden Club Annual Plant Sale will be held on Saturday, May 12, 2012 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at , 22522 NE Inglewood Hill Rd. Many varieties of flowering perennials, ornamental grasses, shrubs and hostas are available. All proceeds go towards horticultural scholorships, local envirnomental organizations and educational programs.
- : Choose from huge selection of organic, sustainable and locally grown veggie, herbs and flower plant starts while visiting the Issaquah Farmers Market May 12, from 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. at
- Where/When: Wednesday - Saturday evenings at 8 p.m. and Saturdays & Sundays at 2 p.m. at Francis J. Gaudette Theatre on Front Street.
- Why Go: Mel Brooks' 12-time Tony winning musical about a down-on-his luck Broadway producer had crowds rolling on opening night.
- Cost: Tickets range from $22-$62.
- Where/When: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Grange in Issaquah, 145 NE Gilman Blvd.
- Why Go: Each participant will receive a free 4" pot and a flower to plant for Mom for Mothers' Day. (It's also Free plant potting day--bring your 14-inch or smaller pot or basket or buy one and get free organic soil and planting for one plant)
- Cost: Free flower planting event.
- Where/When: May 12, 7 p.m. at the
- Why Go: get caught up in “Quicksand” from 1950. When auto mechanic Dan Brady (Mickey Rooney) meets a blonde temptress (Jeanne Cagney), he tries very hard to impress her. But Brady quickly gets in over his head when what began as minor embezzlement on his part (to fund their dates) quickly escalates into more serious crime as he struggles to keep from being caught.
- Cost: Free, sponsored by the Issaquah Arts Commission and 4Culture
- When/Where: Ok, so this one's actually Monday, May 14, at the , 3-5 p.m., but it's a don't miss for teens and tweens!
- Why Go: Teens and Tweens! Love comics? Or telling stories through pictures? Want to make your own? Give it a try at the Digital Discovery Zone using Comic Life on a MacBook. Bring JPEG files of artwork or photos on a flash drive or saved in your email account to use in your project if you like. Ages 9-18.
- Free: No registration necessary, but space is limited.