It may be January, but that doesn't mean you have to stop living life like you did a few months ago: when the sun was high, the weather was warm, and all you could think to do was go to the beach. The Lynnwood Recreation Center allows you to enjoy some of the best parts of summer at its warm indoor pool, even in the winter months.
Last summer we were bummed out about the rising costs to get into Wild Waves Theme Park: "$39.95?!" we said, "That's creeping up on the price to get into Disneyland!"
OK, maybe that's a bit of an overstatement, but we chose to not go to Wild Waves simply because of the price. Even so, that didn't stop our hankering to go down a water slide. We recently found out about the Lynnwood Pool and Recreation Center, which opened in spring 2011 and has not one, but two full-blown indoor water slides.
For the bank-breaking admission price of $4.50 for adults and $3.50 for kids (ages 2-12; kids 2 and younger are free), you can access more than two hours of fun, including two huge water slides, a lazy river, a water playground, water basketball, a six-lane lap swimming pool, kiddie pool, hot tub...hmm, did we forget anything? Oh, yeah, a gym and two racquetball courts to top it off. We were absolutely stunned when the cashier told us the total for the two of us would be $9. Talk about an inexpensive and awesome date!
This really is a top-notch facility. We saw at least six lifeguards on duty, maybe there were more—we lost count. There are two major water slides, one that's a body slide and the other that you can use inflatable tubes on. (There are single and double person tubes.) We tried it all and have to say that the green slide for tubes is our favorite. Going in a double or single tube is fast and fun. The ride starts off quick, with lots of twists and turns, then it slows down a bit, right before it speeds up and you hit the end with a splash! The best part is that there are hardly ever lines for the slides. Plus, they keep the whole pool area heated.
For more details about the swim schedule visit the City of Lynnwood's Recreation Center website.
You don't have to wait until next summer to come here. A rainy day is the perfect kind of day to check out the Lynnwood Pool and Recreation Center. People of all ages will find something to enjoy here.
Things to know
- There are seven family locker/changing rooms.
- There are several showers and tons of lockers in the main bathroom (bring your own lock).
- There's a good size six-lane lap pool, a 3-foot kiddie pool and another 1- to 3-foot pool with a water playground
- Other features include two water slides, a lazy river, complete with rapids, fountains, and a basketball hoop
- The facility has a fully outfitted gym and two racquetball courts
- Admission is $4.50 for adults, $4 for youth (13-18), $3.50 for seniors and kids (2-12), and free for kids 2 years old or younger.
- For additional information, visit: http://www.ci.lynnwood.wa.us/Content/Community.aspx?id=193
Editor's note: Maresa and Scott Gochanour write the blog Around Puget Sound and Beyond.